1. Thousands of racially and theologically diverse Baptists are meeting in Atlanta at something called the New Baptist Covenant Celebration, to demonstrate unity on issues such as ministry to the poor, environmental stewardship, and respect for religious diversity. Take that, Southern Baptist Convention!
2. Apparently, there's still a contest for Miss America. Who knew?
3. None of the leading Republican candidates for N.C. governor bothered to show up for a NAACP-sponsored candidate forum at a Durham Baptist church ... only Republican long shot Bob Orr came, along with Democrats Richard Moore, Beverly Perdue, and Dennis Nielsen, a retired Air Force colonel.
4. State Treasurer Richard Moore has kept pace with Lt. Gov. Bev Perdue in the fundraising game. In fact, Moore has a little more in the bank than Perdue does.
5. With reference to Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory, late arrival to the Republican race for N.C. governor, does "centrist" equal "loser"? Well, yes, actually.